Skip to main content

Preparing for the "D- Delivery" Day- My Hospital Bag



The good news is that your baby is coming soon; and the sad news is that you are going to miss the baby bump forever… oops not if you get pregnant again; but just like no two babies are same, each pregnancy is different. My pregnancy has been a really beautiful phase of my life, and as the due date was nearing the anxiety was at its peak. How will I know if it (labour) has started; how does water breaking feel, will I be able to endure the pain and so many more questions kept lingering all through. Well whatever happens the best thing is to be prepared for all odds, just as they say “ hope for the best and prepare for the worst”.
One of the things towards the end of your pregnant journey is preparing your bag for the hospital (just in case you don’t plan a home birth). Most of the doctors/hospitals will provide you with a list, mine did not and hence I thought I should write about it to help other new to-be mommies.
In the list below have included and excluded things that I didn’t take or took but didn’t need.

For the Mom during labour and postpartum


1.    Tooth brush
2.    Shampoo/body wash (if the hospital doesn’t provide these)
3.    Socks
4.    Slippers
5.    Cream/lotion
6.    A good camera-phone
7.    Your phone/ipod with your playlist with calming songs/music and ear phones.
8.    A timer or you could use your smart phone for timing contractions
9.    Tummy belt or a cotton dupatta (to tie your tummy after a vaginal delivery)
10.   Night gowns (preferably a nursing night gown)
    11.   Nursing bra
    12.   Nursing wrap
    13.   One or two decent nursing dresses that you may want to wear post-delivery(when there are visitors)/while going back  home
14.   Enough panties/disposable panties,If the hospital doesn’t provide.(you may need more than you think, because in case of a vaginal birth there is copious blood flow, so chances of staining are high)
15. Mobile charger
16. Some candies to keep in mouth and avoid it from drying (As in labour women are mostly asked not to drink or eat anything)
17.  lip balm
18.  A message/card ready to be sent out once the baby is born



For Baby

1.       Receiving blanket
2.       Swaddling sheet
3.       Onesies
4.       Pyjamas
5.       T-shirts
6.       Nappies
7.       A pack of new born diapers/ cloth diapers
8.       Face cloth
9.       Wash cloth
10.     Caps
11.     Mittens
12.     Socks
13.     Baby wipes
14.     Traditional steel or silver sippy spoon(paladai)/bottle just in case baby doesn’t nurse initially.
15.     Macintosh sheets/ Quick dry sheets

 Hope this helps the expectant moms, and the experienced moms reading this, if you feel I have missed out something, do comment below and let me know!

Keep reading, keep inspiring!

Click here, to see the review of the hospital where I delivered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay at home mothers Vs Working mothers- Bloggers' marathon entry

Stay at home Vs Working Moms First of all, let me tweak the topic a bit; let me make it Stay at home moms and Working moms; let’s talk about the lives they lead, the challenges they face, the sacrifices they make and the rewards they take; for once let us NOT compare them. Versus often written as vs. is a Latin word meaning 'against' or it may mean to have a comparison or a competition between two teams/parties. Mothers do what they feel is best for their off-springs; whether they stay at home or work outside their homes, I would never wish to question their choices. When I was younger, studying and working, I couldn’t ever imagine myself not working or staying at home, changing diapers, feeding the baby and worrying about the piles of laundry and what to cook next. I could not visualize it because I have been brought up in a family where everyone worked and earned. My father has always insisted that women be financially independent. He has helped distant relative

Capsule wardrobe ideas for a new mom

Hello people, The New Year is right here with lots of excitement, hopes and new beginnings, to welcome the coming year with swag and style, we have come together to bring plethora of fashion inspiration in this "Fashion-a-thon" a fashion blog-train initiative by Ruchie of Wigglingpen . Before you move ahead and see what I have in store for you please check out what Sayeri says on her lovely fashion blog--  Here . I have never been a fashion enthusiast, but who doesn't like wearing nice clothes and look good? I am someone who would rather accentuate a simple kurti with a heavy dupatta or a jacket or a top/tee with a shrug or scarf.  Although, I try not to splurge, but don't know how i end myself up in piles of clothes with still nothing to wear. If you have read my other posts you will know that I am trying to go the minimal way and hence I have almost limited my shopping; if i have to buy a dress for myself, I give away one or two from my wardrobe. 

Prepping, Washing, Storing and Stripping the Cloth Diapers

You have landed on this page, probably because you are keen on starting to cloth diaper your baby or you are already doing it and want to know, how others deal with cloth diapers’ nitty-gritties. We begin with prepping the diapers. Your fluff mail has arrived and you can’t wait to see the little bums dressed bright and beautiful; but  heyy, hold on; you’ve got to wait! It is important to prepare the diapers for use, mainly for two reasons: a.        Hygiene: Just like you wash any other piece of cloth before putting it on to your baby’s sensitive skin, these diapers too need to be pre-washed. b.        Absorbency: The natural fibres (cotton and hemp) have residual oil that restricts the absorbency, hence you need multiple washes before you can use them Now, the question is how do you prep the diapers? Mostly you will find the prepping and washing instructions mentioned on the packaging that the diapers come in. However, the simplest way to prep is giving a wash in dete